Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Accountability: Own It!

Current Mood: Sometimes Tuesday feels slightly worse than Monday.

Current Song: Spies by Coldplay

So yesterday I had the opportunity (if you can call it that), to watch Kirstie Alley's Big Life, the new reality show about the star in which she goes through her battle with weight while developing her own weight loss program.

While I can appreciate that she is taking action, and God knows I've never been a fan of her, her show got me thinking about the whole issue of accountability and not just when it comes to weight. I know, I promised I wouldn't talk about weight on my blog, but this was a good lead in.

The phrase we often hear out there, whether related to weight or not is, "How did this happen to me?"

Well, it didn't. You weren't sleeping one day and woke up in your current situation. Through circumstance and choice, we get to where we are.

I think in all that we do, it's important to own your actions; to act like you are responsible for your own life. Even the stuff that you're not proud of. We'll often take credit for things we do that work out, but not for the other things that don't. The moment we acknowledge our own reality, we can change it or keep moving forward.

Some people are victims of their circumstances. We can't control everything, but we can control how we react to it. And more importantly, we need to be accountable when we do react. Nobody is a victim of their own lives, and life definitely doesn't happen to us. So rather than send out good vibes into the world and waiting for some kind of universal response, go out and get whatever it is you want. And take responsibility for yourself and how you treat others.

Sorry, that sounded cranky, but we all need a reminder once in a while (including me).

Fellow Blogger, Grace wrote a great post on bearing your own signature. You can read it here!

10 comments:

briogusto said...

Great post Mehnaz! I've often had this exact same dialogue in my mind, particularly when I hear people complaining about their life circumstances/job/weight/boyfriend/etc. It probably sounds terrible, but I don't have much sympathy for those who sit there and expect the world to bring them fine cheese on a platter.

Thanks for posting - we DO need reminders!

D

briogusto said...

Oops - I meant to sign in with my wordpress account. To let you know this is Darryn. haha.

Grace Boyle said...

Accountability is so important in life. I also think it's one of the hardest things to OWN.

I love what you say about the bad pieces of who you might be or the mistakes...because people need to get off their high horse (We all make mistakes, we've all been there) and we also need to know how important it is that we can't control everything, but we can control our reaction and how we decide to live...hopefully, it's with intention :)

Thanks for the H/T. I love to see inspiration and ideas coming from ideas and thoughts!

Mehnaz said...

Darryn,

As people in development, we both know about that whole circle of self-victimisation etc. And I'm the same. I don't or very rarely have sympathy for things like that. Thanks for checking in.

Grace - thanks for the inspiration. It needed to be said :)

Ty Unglebower said...

I appreciate the fact that you mention "sometimes people are a victim of circumstances". This is very much true, as I have found myself being such over the years.

And yet while I will say, (and have in my blog) that I have been a victim of circumstances at times, I have not used that situation to abdicate my responsibilities.

Failure and heartache can sometimes be a result of our own actions, and sometimes can be the result of outside forces, but one thing that can't change is our willingness to spend the energy, time, and brain power to correct as many things as we can. Not even the victim's of circumstance can opt to check out.

Mehnaz said...

well said, Ty.

I especially like the last line. Because something happens to you, doesn't mean it gives you license to check out.
Thanks for commenting!

Sam said...

Love this! Owning your actions, good and bad, is so important. As you know, I'm a big believer in making the best out of every situation, no matter how much it sucks. Like you said, we can't control everything that happens to us, but we can control how we react. This is a great reminder :)

Karim Kanji said...

Damn! How DID I gain all this weight! Thanks for the reminder. And congrats on your readership! It's exploding!!!

Mehnaz said...

Sam- thanks! You're always such an inspiration. I know this is how you think, so I'm glad you can relate

Karim - I'm contending with having eaten a deplorable amount of chocolate last night. Lucky for me, the 5k training should at least balance that!

Mehnaz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.