Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What The Simpsons Taught Me About Consistency

Current Mood: A bit tired, but not bad. Stiff neck not helping.

Current Song: 2-1 by Imogen Heap

Most of you who know me, know that I'm a big fan of The Simpsons. You will also know that I quote them on whim, pretty much on a daily basis. If you are equally a big fan, or in the very least live above ground, you will know that last Sunday they celebrated their 20th Anniversary. They now take the cake (or donut) for longest running scripted nighttime series, giving shows like Gunsmoke a run for their money.

I for one, was pretty happy about the fact. I started watching the misshapen characters when I was 10 years old and remember old lines like "Now let's all go out for frosty chocolate milkshakes!"

I'm not going to say that everything that the Simpsons has every produced was gold. That would be silly. There are some serious doozies in there that I don't really think was some of their best work.

What I did learn though, is that The Simpsons is consistent. And current. And smart. I think those factors are probably key to them staying around for so long. The fact that they are there, and loyal to their viewers every week for 20 years has made them a household name and have well become ingrained in current culture. Who doesn't know a "D'oh!" when they hear it?

I watched part of the documentary afterward and one of the people speaking (I forget whom) said that meeting someone who doesn't like the Simpsons is like meeting someone who doesn't like dogs. Who doesn't like dogs?!

The fact that the producers manage to create something new every week (even if stories can be a bit redundant) is something remarkable and goes a long way towards creating and sustaining a brand and remaining memorable.

So, if you want to stay memorable, be consistent, be there for people when they expect you to be, stay on top of your game, and contribute something new to your networks. Regularly.

And now, for those of you who missed it, the intro to the Simpsons 20th anniversary! Huzzah!

2 comments:

Karim Kanji said...

Great post. I'm actually surprised that the Simpsons has survived this long. With shows such as Family Guy and reality TV coming on the scene recently, it really points to the relevancy of the issues that befuddle Homer. Thank goodness Lisa is there to always bail the family out...

mehnaz said...

I am too. Especially after the movie, gotta say.
But again, they stay current, so it's not that hard to wrap one's head around :)