Monday, January 25, 2010

The Olympics are Coming: Let's Just Try to Have a Good Time

Current Mood: This exhaustion doesn't seem to be lifting.

Current Song: The Scientist by Coldplay

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've probably realized that the Olympics are coming to beautiful British Columbia (specifically, Vancouver). I'm excited. Why shouldn't I be?

I know, I know. There is a lot wrong with the Olympics. For one, the major deficit my province is now running due to having to accommodate half the world. Our transit systems will be overloaded (we've spent a ton of money to upgrade everything, including the skytrain). There is that whole issue of poverty, social housing, the mismanagement of funds.

But then, do we know of any large event that didn't have issues? I think not.

It's part and parcel with planning a large event. And there was never a point in history where everyone was happy with everything. It's inherent in human nature to find something to complain about.

I read a really good piece about the Olympics in the Burnaby Now. Basically the writer said, they're coming. Let's just get over ourselves, get excited to cheer on our athletes and have some fun. It's getting down to crunch time (2 weeks?) until opening ceremonies. It doesn't feel very Olympicky at all.

Moreover, I have reason to be excited. My cousin is going to be a torchbearer this time around. I'm excited to put on my red and white and go and cheer him on and take pictures with him and my family. It's a once-in-a-lifetime event for many people who will probably not be able to go to another olympic event.

My sister is volunteering with our community. She'll be right in the hub of downtown pointing confused tourists to the olympic venues.

I want to attend the cultural events, I want to go and watch the Canadian Hockey Team play and cheer with fellow barfly Canadians when they score. I want to be excited. I am excited. I think you should be too.

So, they're coming in 2 weeks. That's all we have. It's time to turn Vancouver into a sea of red, as we welcome our fellow Canadians, and others from around the world and just have a good time.

5 comments:

Sameer Vasta said...

I'm so excited for the Olympics in Canada — and excited that you'll be there, in Vancouver, during the whole event. Can't wait to hear all about it (and maybe some of your photos of the Olympics, too?).

Mehnaz said...

Thanks Vasta!

Wish you could join us. I hope you at least wear red and show your love :)

I'll definitely blog/ photo up!

Emily Jasper said...

It sounds like DC when the Yankees are in town...except for more than one day. I had missed the Nagano Olympics by one year, and it was sad to see sports in the country where I had just lived, knowing it could be a while before I get back. But this is exciting, and it's true, we should keep the good spirit for everyone.

Beth said...

Ah! I'm jealous! Actually, my boss may be there giving a press conference about Earth Day. We should chat about that. Also, I definitely think you need to change the song of the day. The Scientist is so sad :(
Either way I hope we can chat soon, and great post!

Mehnaz said...

Em: Aw, that's too bad you missed the Olympics. And yes, there's just too much humbuggery (could be the rain). People need to perk up.

Beth: Oh Earth Day! Yes! we should chat soon :) It'll be interesting to see how the grassroots movements interact with such a corporate entity like the olympics. But to me it's about spirit. And yes, the scientist is sad...but that's what was on :(