Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bridge Over River Panic

Current Mood: Trying to figure out how to do 8 hours' worth of work in 4.

Current Song: Bad Body Double by Imogen Heap

If you know me at all, you know I'm a worrier. I worry all the time. Sometimes I downright panic. You won't see it because I put on a great poker face, but I might be freaking out. These days I worry less about big things, and more about small things. In my mind, there are two kinds of worries: immediate worries (like your hair is on fire), and far-off worries (like how in the world you'll ever own real estate in British Columbia in 2018).

I have discovered that spending time worrying about the latter is counterproductive. I minimize this type of worry with one phrase: "I'll cross that bridge when I get to it."

The real estate market is not something I control, or can predict with my level of statistical knowledge. I worry about the things I can control though: Am I saving money for said purchase, and more importantly, have I made strides to put out the fire on my head?

I'm being tongue-in-cheek about this of course. My hair products are non-flammable, and my hair is just fine.

The world is full of worry, but you have to pick which ones are worth thinking about and which ones are not. It can be overwhelming to try and see your entire future in one fell swoop. If you're going to worry, you might as well worry about one thing at a time, starting with what you can take care of immediately.

Charlie Brown said it right when he said, "You know how I dread the whole year? Now I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

I'll probably always worry. I think it's a dominant gene in my family. But my mother's advice rings true with this one too, "Work smarter, not harder." So if I'm going to continue to worry...or for that matter, if you're going to continue to worry, be smart about what you worry about. No need to start putting carts before horses (unless the horse is going in the other direction).

As for the rest? We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

7 comments:

Sabera said...

I'm laughing at your 'hair on fire' analogy as I type. :-D How each of us deals with stress related to life goals is so interesting. By far, and just like you say in your post here, 'taking one day at a time' has worked best for me. And as they say: If God has brought you to it, he'll bring you through it. :-)

Karim Kanji said...

Is that why you took last night off? :)

Just focus (i know, it's easier than it sounds) on what you need to do.

Mehnaz said...

Sabera - i figured the flaming hair commentary would at the very least make someone laugh ;)

KK - just a digital-free evening. I might do it tonight too!

Sam said...

Very wise words, my friend! I am also a worrier, and it's something I've been working on. The truth is that there are some things that are beyond our control, and although we will probably always worry a little bit about them, we shouldn't let that worry consume us.

Mehnaz said...

Sam - totally true. You can't change some things. So it's best to change the way you think about them...

Lindsey said...

Sounds like we have a lot in common. I'm a constant worrier and it's totally counter productive but I think that people who don't worry at all receive quite a bad blow when something unpexected and negative comes their way. As with everything in life, it's finding the balance.

life is a struggle, eh?

Mehnaz said...

Lindsey

Life is a struggle. But really sometimes it's just about adopting the "que sera sera" attitude. We can't control everything so we might as well give off.
And yes, you're absolutely right about people who don't worry. They turn into a right mess when it gets down to it :)