Monday, September 21, 2009

Lessons on Time we can Learn from Prufrock

Current Mood: Moving on to the next thing, post haste

Current Song: Daffodils by Malia F. Erik Truffaz

I had time this weekend to think about time. And I missed reading poetry, so I pulled out my favourite poem and read it. I'm always inspired by T.S. Eliot's "The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock". I must have looked at it a thousand times over the course of many years. Here is my favourite passage.

There will be time, there will be time
To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;
There will be time to murder and create,
And time for all the works and days of hands
That lift and drop a question on your plate;
Time for you and time for me,
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of a toast and tea.

I've always remember this passage and it always makes me think of the preciousness of time. This seems to be a bit of a roundabout way of saying that time is of value. Your own time and the times that others so willingly give to you. I think time is a matter of respect as much as anything.

Prufrock, poor man, is a regrettable character who fails to take action, thinking himself half fool, half dispensible (and a bit obtuse). I would only hope that the rest of us make good use of our time, be it to meet with others, to spend it working or whatever else. Time, which we don't have plenty of, contrary to popular belief is something we will always need more of. Best not to waste it.

Just a monday afternoon thought process, if you will.

Will write again soon, perhaps of more interesting things. Happy Monday!

0 comments: