Saturday, September 26, 2009

Knowing When to Walk Away

Current Mood: Feeling claustrophobic. Must get out of here soon.

Current Song: Strawberry Swing by Coldplay

Dear people. I feel like I have to blog this out. It's an idea that has been brewing in my head for some days now and I just felt like writing it out. This is my attempt at personalizing this blog a bit more (don't worry, no sob stories). I think one of the biggest things that I've struggled with in my life is knowing when to walk away from a situation.

I've grown up with my environment constantly changing around me (more so, than most people). In that environment, attachment is hard to come by. You hang on for dear life to anything and anyone that will stay with you. Oft, there are no guarantees. As I grew up in Canada - thankfully, a much steadier environment now - I've had to contend with the fact that sometimes I hang on to things that probably need a bit of letting go.

Being the solid, logical creature that I am, I like to weigh out my options. Someone once told me a story about an entrepreneur that only enters or exits situations if they pose a 3 to 1 ratio. He only enters business deals that offer him 3 benefits to one risk. I think it's a good way to go. I've only recently started using this strategy to figure out when I need to walk away.

It's usually even more difficult if it's something you care about. As much as I hate hokey sayings, sometimes you have to let it go, even if you love it. Sometimes it is about more respect for yourself to know what's good for you. Consider that benefit number 1.

It's an everyday kind of lesson for me and one that hopefully will keep me mobile in my life, always moving forward. For now, we continue to learn as we go, and trust the process in the meantime.

My question to you, dear readers is: How do you make strides to walk away when you have to?

Okay, out I get. Will write again soon :)

3 comments:

Karim Kanji said...

Mehnaz -

Like this "new" look!

I don't really have thoughts on this blog. It is a heavy load to walk away. At least for me - cause i hate to quit. However, I remember a Motley Crue lyric - "Girl, don't walk away mad. Girl, just walk away."

kk

Mehnaz said...

Thanks for sharing KK.
I think sometimes things just get to a point where you know they're not good for you anymore...and you've learned all that you can from the situation. that's the time for an exit strategy.

PS: I totally love, how your comments always have insightful lyrics :)

Karim Kanji said...

Mehnaz -

LOL!

I could have been a HMV salesperson in another life. Although most of my musical/lyrical insights are from Top 40 radio that i used to listen to back in the day...

Keep well.

kk