Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Art of Closure

Current Mood: Back to the grind *grumble grumble*

Current Song: Butterscotch Highs by Marc Robillard

So I'm back from Vacation and this is my first day getting back to business. As you know, I've always thought of fall as a good time to start things. It goes back to my school days I think, where new classes, new books and new clothes all come around at this time. I've decided to extend the same philosophy to autumn this year, despite the fact that I'm not going back to school.

But first, a few things to take care of.

We all know that when we are trying to move on, there are some things that we need to close the door on. Whether that's a job, a relationship, some life transition, in order to progress, some things must go by the way side.

This year, I will mark the end of a rather difficult transitional period in my life. There is no particular reason why, but I think I've reached the end point. Though I say it was difficult, many good things came of it: a graduate degree, lots of great trips, friends. I don't discount these things and will carry them with me.

I realize for myself, that the trick is to listen to your gut. You'll know that something has reached its natural end, when it makes you feel differently to engage with it. You might not love your job anymore or seeing that friend just doesn't make you feel happy and refreshed afterwards. Listening to my gut is something I've learned over time. I'm generally quite intuitive, but when my head cuts in, I tend to listen more to that.

The goal this fall is to file away some of those things that will allow me to take the next steps in fulfilling my own aspirations. Hopefully this works out. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Okay, best to get on to some work. Will write again soon!

3 comments:

balancingtenderfoot said...

Something for you, sista:

"Purification consists of getting rid of the toxins in your life: toxic emotions, toxic thoughts, toxic relationships."

It's gonna be tough but gold doesn't turn into gold without all that burning and melting and shaping business. You can do it! :)

Mehnaz said...

Thanks honey :)
It's what I'm looking to do!

Karim Kanji said...

Mehnaz - sounds like you should have titled your post - The Art of Beginning.

Have fun on your journey!