Sunday, July 26, 2009

Post 45: 5 Things to Do After a Breakup

It's late (or early) and you're going to have to start forgiving me my spelling mistakes. It's some small miracle that I'm awake and still coherent actually! And you've all been fabulous this whole time. Much love.

I was speaking to a friend about breakups. She recently went through a really harrowing one and it got me to thinking about what we do after/ or in an attempt to free ourselves from emotional ties. So here are 5 things to do after a breakup.

1. Cry - You may as well do it now because it won't really be all that handy later. Get it out of your system, so you can move onto a different place in the emotional spectrum.

2. Cut your hair - It's odd, but hair carries so much attachment along with it. The first thing I'd do is cut mine off (and I haven't got long hair). It helps and makes you feel newer and less dented.

3. Clean house - Throw stuff out. Get new clothes. Donate some old furniture. It lifts weight off you, and it's a good opportunity to go get new stuff!

4. Visit - Though the first instinct would be to be a total shut-in and shun any company. It's probably the worst thing you can do. Best to get up and visit people. If you're afraid of talking about the breakup or you've talked it to death already, just politely turn the topic away. I'm pretty sure people would be understanding about it.

5. Do Something New - Do something you've never done. Or take up something that you dropped. It'll get your head in a different space and will keep you from brooding (too much).

That's my five. It takes some time, but like everything, nothing is permanent. This too, shall pass :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these, cherie!
It's all about the process of reclaimation!

Anonymous said...

Alright, I think I have reached the end of my will power, ma chere, and must leave you now. Thank you for all of your insights and little gems that you have posted--they were all wonderful! You only have a short bit more to go, now! I hope it passes quickly and enjoyably.
And, congratulations in advance on finishing!! This is quite a marathon that you have run! Fabulous writing!

Mehnaz said...

Thank you love!
And millions of little sparks of gratitude to you for keeping me company :) Sweet dreams!
xox