Sunday, July 26, 2009

Post 39: Neruda, Another One of My Favourites

I love the Darkness of some of Pablo Neruda's poems. There's a shadow to his love poems that I appreciate. This particular one is my favourite

XVII

I do not love you as if you were a salt rose, or a topaz,
Or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
In secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms,
But carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love, a certain solid fragrance
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride.
so I love you because I know no other way.

than this: where I does not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest, is my hand
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think this one reminds me more of "The Cinnamon Peeler."
These are such wonderful poems, ma chere!

(I am just fiddling around with some things. It's too hot and sticky to sleep, so I thought I might keep you company for a bit longer.)
;)

Mehnaz said...

Once again, there you are, making my life easier :)

Anonymous said...

Here's a Neruda line that makes my knees go weak!

"I want to do with you what spring does to cherry trees."

Oh MY!

(How are you doing? Are you still going strong, or are you starting to lose steam now? I cannot imagine what it would be like to write for twenty-four hours straight! What stamina!)

Anonymous said...

Also--there is a recording of Madonna reading one of Neruda's poems. I think it is called something like "If You Forget" (clearly, I have!).
I love the texture of Madonna's voice when she reads it. She has a great capacity for emotion.

Anonymous said...

A couple more lines from various things:

T.S. Eliot
"Garlic and sapphires in the mud
Clot the bedded axle-tree"

(Wow! Music and imagery and delicious the way the words feel in one's mouth!)

A Sappho fragment that, while not whole, is absolutely complete:

Pain penetrates
me drop
by drop.

(Look at that--a whole world of poetics in six words! First line, alliteration. Next two lines, one iamb each, and a perfect rhyme. Five monosyllables set off by one trisyllable. Stunning!)

Mehnaz said...

Doing fine. Getting a bit tired now I think. Eyes starting to close, but in good company :)

If You Forget Me. I think that's the one. I should look it up :)

PS: The Cherry trees line - can you imagine someone saying that to you? wowie!

Anonymous said...

Keep it up! You are almost there! Just a few more posts and you are done!!


And yes, the cherry tree lines . . . the French have a word--jouir.
:o