Saturday, July 25, 2009

Post 28: Conversation Starters

My mommy totally rules. She made chinese food. And now I feel much better after having eaten it (lower back, not so good).

I wear a necklace with the map of Africa on it and it is always a conversation piece whenever I meet people. It was a present from a cousin in Africa and I've been wearing it for about 12 years now. Just the other day, I was in a cafe on Commercial Drive when an old man inquired as to my roots or why I was wearing that particular necklace. Funny thing is he bet his friend I would say I was from East Africa. Weird eh?

It's always kind of neat to have something like that's unique to who you are. You can see why Africa is so close to my heart and why I want to support the Tumaini Children's Project. I'm proud of it and gladly show it off every chance I get (Plus it's a great way to pick up guys. Not that I need the help!).

Do you have a conversation starter that people always ask you about?

4 comments:

Pico said...

I think it would have been even better if she had decided to make Chinese food and actually made a striped shirt. Or something.

:)

Mehnaz said...

LOL. awesome! but I totally would have been hungry. Last time I checked polyester don't taste so good!

Anonymous said...

I wear my Madonna pin for the same reason. It's a way for me to show my identity (I am not gay, a student, a West Coaster--I am a Madonna fan, loud and proud!).

Mehnaz said...

I carry my coldplay keychain, but hardly anyone asks about that :)