Monday, June 8, 2009

You Should Write More!

Current Mood: Better (Thank you for your nice messages, people!)

Current Song: Koi Mausam by Jagjit Singh (nice song)

As of late, I've been thinking about how things have changed in the last 10 years when it comes to communications. As you know, I'm a writer (as in I like writing things down). I love the feel of paper and pen. I even keep a paper agenda (Blackberry? what's that?).

I remember in high school, my friends and I used to write notes to each other all the time, and pass them between classes to each other. Mind you most of them were about boys whom we liked (and then subsequently disliked) at some point or another. But it was nice getting intricately folded paper, that was decorated with four different kinds of pens (and only you knew how to open it).

I miss writing and receiving letters. I get the birthday cards and one of my friends sends everyone christmas cards with pictures of her children. We use computers so much, that the only real writing most of us do is signing our signatures on receipts. I say we bring back the paper and pen. Start a writing revolution.

There is nothing more fulfilling than writing a letter or a note for someone. And there is nothing more thrilling than finding an envelope (that's NOT a bill) in the mail. I miss that feeling. I want to write again.

Perhaps it's time to go and get some stationary Perhaps a trip to Paper Ya one of these days :)

In the meanwhile, I encourage you to write a note to someone and hand-deliver or mail it (using snail mail, with residential address). Let's start the writing revolution again!


4 comments:

vasta said...

Haha. I LOVE this post. LOVE it.

I write about 10-15 letters a week that I send out in the post. At least ten, and that's on a slow week. I've been doing this for about five years now.

I spend more money on stationery and postage than I do on groceries every month. And I'm okay with that.

So...when are you giving me your address so you get put on my master list? =)

Mehnaz said...

Seriously? I'd love a letter!

I want to start writing letters. Maybe my handwriting will improve too in the process :)

Karim Kanji said...

Vasta - I agree! Love the post and I don't even write. Although I may re-start the whole postcrossings thing. A writing revolution...

vasta said...

I was completely serious. Twitter me or email me your address.