Saturday, June 27, 2009

Life Lesson #4: Stoplights

Current Mood: Pretty good. Sunny day.

Current Song: Nightingale by Norah Jones

This morning I had to get up early to go and go do some driving around for errands and junk. It was early and West Broadway being a generally busy street, was a bit deadish. Generally I'm a pretty cautious driver, not annoyingly so, but cautious nonetheless. Cut me some slack. I had a major fear of driving to overcome as an adolescent so it's a wonder I haven't collapsed from anxiety related illnesses.
Anyway, if any of you know Vancouver drivers, you'll know that they're a mean, crazy bunch. You seriously have to drive defensively (may as well put shin guards on your bumper). So people cut each other off all the time. The most funny is when someone gets annoyed with you, and cuts you off, driving really fast, but ends up at the same stop light. You make stink eyes at each other in the rearview mirrors and they're practically falling over themselves in frustration.
I had lots of those today. People in a rush to go wherever. And I got to thinking.
How much further did it get you, cutting me off? One car length ahead of me? And did it get you to your destination 20 minutes earlier? Probably not.
The lesson: It pays to be nice. If you're nasty to someone, you'll probably end up at the same place as them anyway in the end. Doesn't really help much if you know what i'm saying. Same thing applies to life. If you're going to be a jerk, it won't get you much ahead of the rest of us. There will be a stop light somewhere ahead and you'll have to stop anyway. So be nice.
Also it's summer, so enjoy the ride. Rushing around on a saturday morning through an empty street makes you look like a tool.
Anyway, that's all I have today. Keep an eye out this week for deets about blogathon :) I'm psyched!
Happy Weekend everyone!

0 comments: