Friday, June 5, 2009

Lesson 3 for 2009: When You Fail, Kick it Into High Gear!

Current Mood: Moody, irritated, annoyed, weepy and wallowy (this week did NOT end well)

Current Song: No You Girls by Franz Ferdinand

So today's lesson is as much a self-ass kicking as it is a general lesson in life. As most of you know, I don't take defeat well. I also don't take failure well. At all.

Today I failed at something. I don't care to mention what, because it's my achilles heel and it's kind of a stupid thing. Leave it to say, that I failed.

I spent a good part of the day weeping and wallowing and generally wandering around like I had lost my way, and that I was probably beyond salvation. It's not like me at all. But because it's the one thing I know I'm weak at and can't seem to overcome, I got really wound up about it.

My first instinct was to say I'm never doing this again. Ever. I don't want any part of this. I'm peacing out. Forever.

My second instinct after my Arien hot-headedness cooled off was to tell myself that I have to try harder. Failure is not a comment on your character. Not trying is. And momma didn't raise no fool. Like my other lessons: Time to let it go and Move on!

Why do we fail? It's the worst feeling in the world. But I think it's life's way of kicking you in the pants. We do badly, we fail, we try harder and then we fail better (or pass, whichever).

So the next time I go after whatever this thing is, I'm kicking it into high gear. Time to get high octane and take care of business. Wallowing is for the helpless. And we all know we aren't.

Next time you fail, remember: Wallowing is allowed for about a tenth of the time. The rest better be put into making another effort. I'll have to remember that myself.

Okay, I'm off for the weekend. I may have a digital free weekend. I'm feeling the need to recharge. Adios!

2 comments:

vasta said...

Enjoy your digtital-free weekend!

Just another perspective:

Sometimes, we fail not because we're not trying hard enough, but because we're just not trying for the right thing.

So while I agree that when you fail, you have to try harder and keep making effort, I also think it's important to step back sometimes and think: "why exactly am I trying so hard for this? Is this _really_ what I want or need?"

It's not giving up: it's making the right choices to pursue the right things.

Just thought I'd throw that in there — it's a lesson I've learned quite poignantly these past few weeks.

Mehnaz said...

good points, SV. I think i was wrapped up in my own situation. Where there are other options, definitely one should feel free to pursue them.

Sometimes when a door closes another opens :)
Thanks for the reminder!