Saturday, May 16, 2009

Letter to Me + 15

Current Mood: awake, but a bit odd today

Current Song: Sunset by Nitin Sawhney

So I came across a website called Twentysomething Writers. It offers up prompts and ideas for writer's block (after 3 years of blogging, I know this is bound to happen). There was an interesting one this last week, where you had to write a letter to your future self, 15 years from now (I'd be 42). So I thought I'd give it a shot. Hopefully there are some laughs and insights. And maybe 15 years from now, I'll actually read it and see how much of it has actually transpired. Okay, here goes:

Dear me + 15,

First of all, congratulations! You survived 15 more years! And you look great. Your skin has never looked better and you are in great shape. You have continued to turn into your mother, so that's a bit scary, but overall good job on maintaining your health. Tough job, but you appear to still be tenacious as ever! Here are my few hopes for you.

1. I hope that you are happy in your work. I also hope that you're not working ridiculous hours like you used to. You always wanted to be intellectually relevant, and whatever path you've chosen, I'm sure you're there (that PhD perhaps?). You always commanded respect to a certain degree, and I hope that respect has been earned. After all, you still wear posh glasses I see.

2. I hope that you've had a chance to travel. For work or for fun. I know you loved London, but I hope you've seen some other places while you've been at it. After all, why do you work? To live I suppose right? I hope you haven't collected too many junky souvenirs and still have good taste. The odd thing from a Balinese village is fine, but if you have those little mexican straw creatures sitting on your mantle piece, then we're going to have to talk!

3. I hope you have a mantle piece. Inside a home, that you are somewhere in the process of owning. I hope it's in the city. I know how you love the hustle and bustle of urban life (Remember how much you used to make fun of Edmonton?). I hope you are living within your means. You used to be a big savings (more like hoardings) person when you were young. Hopefully that's stuck too!

4. I hope you found someone to share your life with. It's important to have someone who can reach the top shelves in the kitchen (you clearly can't) and to shovel the snow in the wintertime. It's also just important to have a sounding wall, and unconditional love. Hopefully he's a really good fellow and keeps you on your toes. If you have kids, you'll have to tell me what happened! You never wanted any, but something must have changed! If you do have children, I hope you're not one of those annoying people who talks about them constantly.

5. I hope you're still aspiring to write that novel. You're a decent writer, and you really should look into publishing something substantial. If you've got the time and the talent, then why the hell not?

6. Finally, I hope things have gotten easier. Things get more complicated the older you get. But hopefully you've outlived any ruts and are happier than ever with where things are. I hope that you keep on learning and growing (and if you've stopped reading, you'd better damn well start again). Perhaps in another 15 years there will be another letter for you and we'll see where you've gotten to at that point.

Keep it up and say hi to the family :)

Little M

0 comments: