Monday, May 4, 2009

A Bucketful of Memories

Current Mood: Pretty good (despite having slept at 1 AM)

Current Song: inteha by Jagjit Singh.

Hey folks. Sorry I haven't blogged for a while. Too many blog entries in April. Thought to take a small break for a few days. not that I have no ideas brewing in that brain of mine. I had an amazing weekend.

Yesterday, the mom, the aunt, the sister and I went to the Jagjit Singh farewell concert. For those of you who have known me for a while, you'll know that I am an avid fan (almost to creepy status). I have every single recording (aside from a few of the religious ones). I have been to one concert before but this one definitely blew everything out of the water for me. We didn't stay for the autograph session afterwards, because we would have been there until next tuesday, but if anything, this was totally worth the 4 hours.

You probably all know that I sing as well. I know how music can be an extension of life. I think pretty much every milestone in my life is somehow associated with a Jagjit Singh ghazal. I mean everything from our move to Canada to the boy that I had a huge crush on in highschool, all the way to my graduation. I think if my life had a soundtrack, it would mostly be compoosed of his songs (I told you, super creepy fandom status right here). So aside from the horrible lady in front of me passing snacks and smelling like a whole field of vanilla, the concert was amazing. I understand how sound is an extension of the body. As singers, our music is within us and is a part of us. What blows me away is that an instrument is the same for the flautist and violists who accompanied jagjit singh. There are no words. You'd have had to be there in order to fully understand why half the time I was gobsmacked sitting there.

So far, it's been a pretty dim year, but this is probably the shining beacon of my year so far (and ColdPlay is yet to come!). I'm pretty sure I'll explode by the end of the year!

Okay, I have to stop acting like a raving lunatic. Look below for some pics from the concert.
I shall hopefully write later this week. Adios!
The man himself!


For some reason Gordon Campbell (the premier of BC) showed up. Can we say South Asian community vote for the upcoming elections in a couple of weeks? sheesh.

Of course he brought his long-time violinist, Deepak Pandit. And the flautist whose name I can't recall. If there is anything in this world that will ever signify the epitome of love, it's the pairing of a violin and flute. Sigh. (I HAVE gone soft...bleh)

0 comments: