Monday, April 6, 2009

The Yellow Heart

Current Mood: content

Current Song: Viva La Vida by Coldplay (this obsession is getting out of hand!)

I'm feeling a bit like a bard today....so here's a story.

In our old house in Nairobi, I found a little yellow see-through plastic heart. It was pretty beat up looking, with scratches and rough edges. It used to hang on a string. I kept it despite the fact that it wasn't really mine. I hung on to it across continents. It travelled in my backpack from Africa to the UK and then finally to Canada, where we live now.

One day, I added it to my keyring and carried it around with me everywhere I went (perhaps I thought it should see the world). It went to school and work and prayers and outings with me. Finally three years ago, the little loop that allowed me to string it on to things broke. I felt bad that it finally cracked, the plastic too old and weak to withstand that kind of activity in any case. It probably went through some ordeals before it was mine.

I put it aside until I was dusting my room the other day. I wondered what I would do with it. I'm not a packrat, but I didn't exactly want to bin it. I looked around my room trying to put it on various shelves and tried to hang it on the wall with a broken loop. Finally I taped it to my door, which has become a strange album for my travels.

I was glad I got to keep it. There is always someone who will care for a heart, no matter how beat up it is. You just have to find someone who is willing to put in the effort to find a place for it.

2 comments:

Sameer Vasta said...

"There is always someone who will care for a heart, no matter how beat up it is. You just have to find someone who is willing to put in the effort to find a place for it."

Today, of all days, I needed to read that. Thank you. Really.

Mehnaz said...

No worries :)
(I'm working on being less hard-edged as I age :P)