Thursday, April 16, 2009

GPS For Life

Current Mood: Tired. I haven't been sleeping. This is bad for my mood and generally for my well being.

Current Song: Don't Know Why by Norah Jones

Yesterday, we finally got a GPS for the ole' Civic. It's mostly because we're a little bit directionally challenged in this family. I do fine after scrutinizing a map and can generally keep from getting too lost. But my heart pounds uncontrollably when I have to go somewhere new by myself (Can we say issues with driving much?).

I got to thinking about life and how handy it would be if we had a GPS system for it. Can you imagine if you could just enter the destination in the "where to?" function and just go. It would cut a lot of this dead end crap out I think. I like to go for my goals with a kind of singleminded determination. So far, it hasn't failed me too badly, but the process seems to be taking a bit more time than I would ideally like (Clearly, I'm in a rush to get somewhere).

I read in O Magazine yesterday about Luck. Apparently luck or chance are the opportunities afforded to people who are prepared to accept them. I often wonder whether I'm missing out on things because of my singlemindedness. I don't like to dilly dally a lot though, so I'm not sure how I would treat such a situation. But oddly enough, I consider myself fairly lucky. Lately, it's a bit of a funk and perhaps the key is to start thinking of myself as lucky again.

But then again, I also believe you'll end up where you're supposed to be no matter how you manipulate your own fate. If it's meant to happen, it'll happen. It's just the way it is.

What say you? Do you believe in luck or chance? Do you believe in making your own luck? Do you want a GPS for life?

Will write soon!

4 comments:

Sameer Vasta said...

I'm not a huge believer in luck or chance, but I am a huge believer in serendipity: that if you leave yourself open to new experiences — new things, new people, new places — you often find just what you aren't looking for, and that's the best thing to find in the end.

mehnaz said...

SV - I hear that quite often. it's a good point. maybe it is just being open to new things...

Jennifer said...

I agree with your approach--things work out the way they are supposed to. You can have a preference, or want something to go your way, but if it doesn't, it wasn't meant to be and that's that. Some people may think that is too deterministic, but it makes me feel a lot more relaxed:)

Mehnaz said...

Jennifer,
Thanks for checking in.
I swing between deterministic and whatever the opposite is.
I'm not sure things happen randomly. there is some larger picture out there that we're not privy to. We just have to "trust the proces" in a manner of speaking.