Monday, April 6, 2009

Friendships and All they Entail

Current Mood: Pretty good, despite the constant sneezing.

Current Song: The Man Who Can't Be Moved by The Script

So today's post comes from something I read on the Brazen Careerist Network about Burning Bridges (Seriously, people, if you're under 30 and not on this network, you're missing out on a world of information by and catered to Generation Y'ers).

I think a lot about the friendships that I've built over the years. I'm lucky that I have a wide circle of acquaintances, and some very very good friends. I think that in this day and age, the thing that is most important is just to keep in touch in the small ways. I can be a terrible friend, because I don't always find the time to say hello or to somehow get together with people. Sometimes I'll only see people once a year. But we have systems of keeping in touch where we don't feel like we've missed out on each other's lives. It's the key I think in the world that is so mired with almost useless activity half the time.
The people that I've met over the years, whether it's through school, social media, or through choir, have been invaluable. Just yesterday I was with a friend whom I have known for about a decade and has seen me go through all manner of hell and heaven. My mother very correctly pointed out that we were probably inadvertantly drawn to eachother because we bring out some quality or share some life story that is binding. I think it's very true. It's those people that have mattered the most and that have part of my soul

I think we should all make it a special mission to drop a note of greeting or a phone call or a text message to someone we care about every week. In an age where social media and technology can connect us to somewhere between the sublime and ridiculous, why don't we do these things? The older you get, the more you can appreciate this.

Okay I'm done spewing mush all over the screen. Here's a picture of my recent trip to Vancouver's waterfront that I love so much. Write soon!


5 comments:

LaTosha said...

Mehnaz,

I’m digging your blog and sorry it took me so long to venture over and respond to your post :) It’s the little things that go along way in life. You don’t have to talk everyday in order to maintain a great relationship. I have quite a few people I see once a year and when we get together it’s like we were never separated and we remain friends by sending emails here and there to each other.

By the way, that pic is beautiful.

Karim Kanji said...

Just wanted to drop by and say "Hello!"

Mehnaz said...

LaTosha - thanks for taking the time to drop by. I completely agree...sometimes it's those little things that count for the most! :) See you on Brazen!

Karim - "Hello!" Long time no comment! I hope you're well :)

Sameer Vasta said...

I definitely understand your sentiment, but want to reiterate that your lack of contact doesn't make you a terrible friend. It makes you human.

It is impossible to be in touch with everyone, all the time — even with all the technology around us. One of my best friends and I only speak twice a year when I fly over the Atlantic to see her. We don't email, we don't call, we don't Facebook message. But when we see each other, it is like we have never been apart.

We're not terrible friends to each other because of one thing: in the back of my mind, I know that whenever I need a reason to smile, just thinking of her helps. That's what friendship is really about.

Mehnaz said...

Thanks for your thoughts Sameer. It's true, I suppose. It is, afterall, the thought that counts :)