Friday, March 6, 2009

It's a Woman's World

Current Mood: Pretty Mellow

Current Song: California Dreaming by the Beatles (Yuck. Save me!)

This week I seem to have my development hat on a bit. I watched a great piece on Hardtalk (a BBC World News show) about Aid in the time of recession. It's always nice to think in that manner when I've been out of the development field for what seems to me to be forever. It's not really forever. I'm just biding my time. In the meanwhile I'm trying to keep my brain active.

As many of you will probably know, this Sunday is International Women's Day. So I thought it might be nice to provide a couple of links where you can read about the developmental impacts on women. So here are my top 5 links to learn about women (not in the "He's Just Not That Into You" sense of the word)

1. Governance Village - doing a special feature on gender mainstreaming in development, and women's rights.

2. Care Canada - has some of the most specialized work on women's development, including economic development projects.

3. AWID - a feminist organization that keeps tabs on women's development around the world.

4. UNIFEM - The UN's branch for women's development. Nuf said.

5. Women Thrive Worldwide - a US based group that focuses specifically on economic development.

So why the sudden interest in women? Well because we make up a good part of the world actually. I'm not a feminist, but having been raised by a woman most of my life, I do have a certain inclination to think that women should have the opportunity to better their lot, no matter where they come from in the world. For the most part I consider myself lucky to have grown up in North America, where nobody really questions my rights for the most part. I think it's up to us to educate ourselves about some of the issues that women are still struggling with around the world. Afterall, what would you do without us eh?

Okay boys and girls, you have your homework. Now go read and report back to me about what you've learned! (okay I'm kidding about the reporting bit, but you really should have a look).

Happy International Women's Day!

0 comments: