Monday, January 19, 2009

Music Makes the People Come Together

Current Mood: Pretty sweaty. I'm waiting to cool down from my work out before the shower or I'll end up feeling faint.

Current Song: Losing My Religion by REM (Thanks KK for correcting!)

I have nineties music stuck in my head these days. Like Return of the Mack. How dumb was that song. It seems to be haunting me as of late. Possibly it's because there is that hour between 5 and 6 in the morning when I can't sleep. It has become terribly annoying.

I was trying to think about what I could possibly blog about lately. I've been busy working on some things and haven't really had a chance to ponder. So I thought that I would write about an article I read in the economist about why we care about music. As most of you know, I sing. I've trained for many years (only stopping training the last 2) and sing mostly chorally. Music has always been a large part of my life and indeed every life event that is major seems somehow linked to a song (I think my life probably has background music).

The basic premise behind the article is that Music tends to have some sort of evolutionary use. Not everyone can sing (trust me!). In evolutionary terms, animals have put effort into activities that have yielded a greater chance of genetic proliferation. This would mean, that music, because it is still a trait that is present in contemporary society, increases our chances of having children. It's also why musicians have so many children. and groupies. Currently, given that music actually requires practice, musicians view it as an activity worth doing. Mind you now it's tied in with fame and all kinds of other fun things like that.

I think the article might have some weight to it. But I don't understand why I'm still single :P
No, no, that's my own (un)doing.

There's something in music that appeals to the emotional centres in people's brains: from major keys that connote happiness to the phenomenon of "our song" that lovers so often profess, music is inevitably an evolutionary phenomenon. Interesting thoughts, nah?

Alright folks, better go and get on with it. Happy Obama Week! I hope you all tune into the inauguration tomorrow (tuesday) morning. This shall definitely be an interesting quatrennial :)
Ciao for Niao!

3 comments:

Karim Kanji said...

Isn't "Losing My Religion" by REM? Maybe you were listening to "Wheat Kings" by The Tragically Hip?

Mehnaz said...

Oh yes, you're right...REM!
thanks!

Karim Kanji said...

I wonder if this means that either my grandparents were musical geniuses or groupies because they each had at least 7 kids!