Friday, December 5, 2008

I, For One, Wish To Partake!

Current Mood: Pretty phlegmy and hacky (I know those aren't words...Prorogue shouldn't be either)

Current Song: Migrations by Nitin Sawhney

Remember that time I said I would blog if something interesting ever happened? Well something did. I am going to Paris in 4 days. That's right, the one in France. I'm accompanying my aunt for the last leg of the Aga Khan's visit and will be there for about a week. It happened very fast and I spent practically all of tuesday and wednesday trying to secure flights and places to stay and researching how far we are from what and how much everything costs. Europe is expensive. But then again, you only have one life so you might as well live it, n'est ce pas?
I fly to Calgary on monday and then to Paris tuesday. I get back on the 16th. It'll be interesting. I'm hoping good things come out of it.
I keep thinking it's highly undeserved though on my end. Here I am, having accomplished not so much, and suddenly I'm going on vacation.

Speaking of accomplishments, I did end up getting bound copies of my thesis this week! wee! I'm not going to read it though partly because it makes me very sad that I'm not there anymore. Partly because I'm afraid I'm going to find a typo and embarrass myself. The dedication page made my mother tear up. It was either that or the awful red coloured shell that it has...ew....

So you've probably heard that our country is going to hit a wall if you don't live here. Parliament has been "prorogued" meaning suspended until January. This delays the nonconfidence vote and the possibility of a coalition government. I could swear these are things that should be happened in emerging democracies with autocratic roots. What the hell is going on? Might as well declare Marshall Law. Good grief. Well, at least the system is stumbling along something close to functionality. Mind you this is not a good time to be squabbling, given the impending financial blowup. On the plus side, gas is now cheaper! Start your engines everyone! vroom!

Okay, enough of this nonsense. I have to start packing, or at least pretend to look for things that I have to take along on the trip. Passport ...check. Flat iron...check. Sense of adventure...check!
I shall try and blog again before I actually leave on Monday....but if not, expect a full rundown when i get back. and of course, pictures :)
Au revoir mes amis.

2 comments:

Craigjc said...

Great blog.
Check me out sometime.

http://popwife.blogspot.com/

Karim Kanji said...

Look forward to your notes on Paris. Say hi to my mom if u see her....