Saturday, July 26, 2008

Zimbabwe (Post 13)

Just sitting around reading the good ole news. Zimbabwe is still in the news. Now a power sharing deal is in the works with the opposition. However, there seems to be a bit of a contention about who is going to run the country, and critics say that this will have to be have to dealt with somehow. I'm pretty sure that this was the problem to start with anyway. I have my doubts about power sharing deals in general. There is no real guarantee that a leader like Mugabe will concede really. However, it might be in his best interest to do so in order to curb the violence....not sure that he will. Dude's been in power since independence and it seems to have worked for him this far!

I also have my doubts about sanctions. They just appear to hurt the country more than anything. It's really the people that end up suffering it out when the west imposes sanctions. Didn't work in Iraq really and doubt it'll be very effective here....oh well. I guess we get to see what happens...History in the making I take it...
Wonder what's happening in Kenya and their little power sharing deal...hm...must look that up at some point....

0 comments: