Saturday, July 26, 2008

Socially Unplugged (Entry 30)

A blog idea from a close personal friend of mine, and fellow musician (and fellow oldest sibling!)
Have social media networks like facebook and MSN (and blogs) become so prominent that they are keeping us from having a social life and meeting people in person or have they actually increased our exposure to more kinds of people?

I think it's a two sided deal actually. On the one hand, I could be out right now with friends on a regular day, but instead i'm pouring over the blog mania and checking facebook twice as often as I should. However, the number of people I've met has gone up. for instance, I don't think I would have met any of my fellow blogathoners in a coffee shop or some kind of casual situation outside of the screen here. Plus social media networks are great ways to increase our scope and pool of knowledge and learn from eachother.

But when it comes to things like, say, dating or even making friends, we are less likely now, I think to step away from the screen. Most of the little ones now spend way more time on facebook and texting friends than actually hanging out with them. So while these technological advances do expose us to various viewpoints and learnings, we have to be careful that we don't get our ability to interact with people wrestled out of us...
Okay, back to facebook!

0 comments: