Saturday, July 26, 2008

My Favourite Authors (Entry 20)

For reasons that might be fairly obvious, Dorothy Parker is one of my favourite authors. She was introduced to me by a former colleague who gave me her collected works. It's been one of my favourites. She was an incredibly successful woman, with her work at one of the premiere publications in the United States, The New Yorker.
However, years of working at the New Yorker in the same room no less to a man she was in love with, but who was married, left her a bit jaded. She has a viewpoint on life that was not really seen in women in that era.
I almost wish you saw something new and exciting like that nowadays...sadly, not the case. Wonder where that creativity and most of all gutsiness has gone. It's too rare. Anyway, below a poem from Dorothy Parker called "Resume"

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live

0 comments: