Friday, July 25, 2008

Luw (Entry 4)

So there seems to be some kind of intergenerational misunderstanding when it comes to love in my family (Luw as my mother would call it).

In her day if you were dating, you were in luw. If you were getting married, you were in luw. Nowadays, you could be dating and not be in love and you could be in all manner of different relationships where you're not in love. You could even be seeing eachother and be in "Luw". So when we tell my mother that we like someone, she immediately says, "Oh, so you are in luw veeth heem?" Generally it's followed by an eye roll and a shaking of the head.

And if you don't like them anymore (which seems to be more the case with the short attention span that pervades our lives when it comes to men), she says, "Oh so you don't luw him eneemore nuh?" Huh. Well I'm not sure I fully understand what this whole "luw" thing is, and frankly I'm not sure I want to. Her impression of "Luw" seems to be someone to argue with intensely....
In that case, I think I luw a lot of people...:P

1 comments:

Raul (hummingbird604) said...

Good luck with Blogathon! Keep comin' em strong!