Saturday, July 26, 2008

Love at First Sight? (Entry 47)

I'm taking a page from fellow blogger Hummingbird604, who asks about the joys and perils of the dating world and the dating skill set. I quickly acknowledge that there is no such thing as the perfect relationship. If there was, then really I wouldn't be blogging at all.

I keep getting asked whether I actually believe in Love at first sight. Hm. Can't say I actually do. It's too idealistic for a cynic like me to believe in something that is fairly improbable. I've found anyway that the people that do claim to believe in it always end up a bit more disappointed than the rest of us.
I think notions like LAFS open up the door to phenomena such as being in love with someone because you believe that you can somehow change them, or loving the idea of the person, but not actually the person. There's too many unknowns in ideas like that. I prefer to be a realist and perhaps a bit on the cautionary side and fall for the practical.
But Mehnaz, they say, love can't be logicked away like that. I'd like to argue that there are certain facets even in emotional things like love that can be made rational and practical. Not to take the romance out of the whole thing, but really we all end up coming back down to earth sooner or later anyway. May as well start off there.

If or when I ever fall in love, I'm hoping there will be some sense of reality I can grip on to. I don't do terribly well with heights and don't like pedestals very much :)

0 comments: