Saturday, July 26, 2008

Happiness Inc? (Entry 9)

Went in search of food....ended up with nuts and raisins....and a giant jug o' water. I think i'm gonna need that H2O. Currently moved on to another favourite band Dispatch. Amazing vocals and guitar skillage. Fantastic really. Oddly I think they started off as a christian band...not sure...but I think I read that somewhere...

In any case, one of my close friends had the idea that I should write about what it means to be happy. I think that being happy is a simple thing. It's waking up every day with a sense of purpose. I think that's ultimately what defines happiness. A lot of times, the choices we make veer us to a certain course in our lives and oftentimes we let our mistakes dictate the direction of our happiness. In my short, yet eventful life, I've learned a lot about happiness. The trick is to suck it up, get up, and move on. There will always be moments of cloudiness. If there weren't we'd be living in some strange and unsettling utopia. Those moments of being not quite happy is what propels to move forward, and to have the ambition to better our lot.

Coming from an international development perspective, one of my professors always said that given the chance, people will make every effort possible to better their lot. I think the key to happiness is always to have that fire that you can do better. Perhaps it's ambition I'm talking about a bit. But really, I've never stopped. Happiness is what propels you to wake up every day with a sense of purpose. that's how I define it...

0 comments: