Saturday, July 26, 2008

Good Parents Pay (Or Else) (Entry 21)

I'm feeling much better after dunking my head in a vat of hot water, having a cup of coffee and half a bagel. I feel half-ish alive, which is better than I was at 5 in the morning.

So a few days ago, I was reading about an Ontario program that is called Good Parents Pay, which essentially is a database profiling deadbeat dads in the province. These aren't just your regular joe kind of deadbeat dads, but those who have children all over the place or owe some serious kinds of money. Not sure how you get on the list, but I think you need to have done some shadey shadey stuff.
Other provinces are considering the program as well. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Oftentimes people are remiss about the amount of responsibility that single parents are often burdened with, not just in the every day way, but also financially. It's furthermore exceptionally hard when there is more than one child. I'm not against a program like this. If anything, it'll help narrow the gap and at least help the families financially, given that the whole parenting aspect is missing.
Moreover, props to single parents for doing such a difficult job, often without complaining about it...You just saved this society a whole lot of latchkey kids!

1 comments:

Zoyah...BLAH! said...

YAH!
Power to mommy!