Saturday, July 26, 2008

Deadly Brilliant (Entry 23)

Having a gander at one of my other favourite little sites, http://www.npr.org/. Excellent coverage of pretty much everything

Article talks about a symphony called The Dead Symphony No. 6 based on the music of the Grateful Dead. Not terribly familiar with their music, but I think it's a brilliant idea!
People always have these strange ideas that music belongs in certain moulds and that we can't go mucking about with form. I say toss it!
It's absolutely magic when things can come together. That's been my experience with the choir where you take different traditions and you just mash them together (tastefully). Afterall, I think that culture continually recreates itself and is new every day. While tradition is of course to be respected (all artists pay some kind of homage to the roots of their work), music is about creativity, boundary testing and breaking convention. What a great article (Plus I love the accompanying picture :) )

0 comments: