Thursday, August 9, 2007

Snakes and Ladders

Current Mood: nonchalantly trying to think unsexy thoughts

Current Song: Something Simpsons Related

Boy howdy, am I happy the weekend is coming up. Also, one more week until my cousins come from London, which I think will be the most exciting part of the summer. Even the scab on my knee is throbbing with excitement. I know I'm meant to be a writer because I paint us such a lovely picture.

Anyway, so I was reading my favourite blog, This Fish and she was talking about whether men and women can be friends, strictly or not. The general consensus was not so much. Then there was somebody who mentioned ladder theory. So I checked it up of course. So ladder theory is basically the theory that when we meet somebody, we mentally size them up and put them on a mental ladder. The higher you are, the more appealing you are. Apparently everyone does it. Ladder theory applies to friendships between men and women too. Apparently the more attractive you are as a woman, the less likely a boy is going to want to be your friend for friend purposes.
I largely agree with it, though it is a broad generalization and we all know that all generalizations are bad (haha). I do have to say that the visual appeal of a man is directly proportionate to his lack of socioeconomic status. I find the construction workers much hotter than the balding businessmen....is that so wrong? Though, again i do say, that this is a generalization. I'm sure there are plenty of hot businessmen (Burrard anyone?). So if we all have mental images (and I know I'm at the top of everyone's list for being gorgeous!), then indeed how can we just be friends if we are constantly sizing eachother up. it's a strange little phenomenon. I always get warnings from my mother about turning boys into my brother. If I don't, I end up with weird boy vibe. So, it's gotta be. Sorry ma, they is brothers to me!
Okay, this blog has taken up the last vestiges of my energy...to bed!

0 comments: