Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Every Morning, Eat A Live Toad. That Way Things Can Only Get Better

Current Mood: perplexed. I looked under the couch, but my immune system is not there!

Current Song: Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood.

Well, I'm sick again. I haven't slept a wink. Not one wink. it's terrible. I'm brimming with mucous (I know, lovely image). I think my immune system has left me for somebody better. i wish i didn't get so sick. I go out in public for one day and I come back with everyone's germs.

So, anyway. Yesterday I went to the see the Monet to Dali exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery. It was a really amazing exhibit in many ways. They had some amazing artists there. Of course, Dali's "the dream" was featured, along with Van Gogh's "St. Remy", Rodin's "The Thinker", and some of Picasso's work. Apparently Picasso had an African Period. I didn't see anything from that there, but that would be interesting! We also attended another exhibit while we were there. It was called the "House of Oracles". It's by a contemporary Chinese artist. It has some spectacular art as well. Some of it is disturbing, like the cockpit of a plane filled with bats. There was a really fun piece of art called "The history of Western architecture and ancient chinese art put in a washing machine for two minutes". We laughed at that one, because that's exactly what it was. It was pulp from these two texts mounted on a box. It was a commentary on East meets West in terms of art. There were also some interesting religious pieces. One called La Peche, which was an angel fishing. Along the fishing line were a series of buddhas, and the bait was a cross with a jesus type figure. The catch was some sort of a half wolf-half fish. I encourage you to check it out.

Also, came across a new book, which I think is going to be really great to read (when i get around to the non-fiction list). It's called "Intent for a Nation". It's about how Canadian National identity is different from that of the Americans and how we need to go back to the basics in terms of peacekeeping. The author said that the current strategy used in Afghanistan is a "shoot first, ask questions later" tactic and that we need to go back to employing diplomacy as a means of solving problems. This comes at a good time, seeing that there is a no-fly list out there with major flaws. I hope you heard about that. If you haven't you should read up on it and tell me what you think. I'm not for the idea at all.

Finally finished Andre Alexis' "Childhood". Great book. I didn't think that it would be as good as it actually was. Yet, another satisfied customer. Now, I approach Timothy Taylor's "Silent Cruise" with apprehension. Hope not to be disappointed :)

Okay, I'm going to go and lie down because I'm freezing cold and slightly drowsy. Catch you later kids!

0 comments: